Introduce Yourself

Introduce yourself and tell us about your interests.

Introduce Yourself

Postby GraemeLovesPinkLady » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:24 am

Hello, members of NanimewW, my name is Graeme and I love Pink Lady.

I'm lucky enough to live quite near Manchester, so I can get to many of the events like Ultra-Kitty and NanimeW screenings, and I like Japanese music, so maybe I'll get a chance to meet some of you. I don't bite, so don't worry, but please don't ask me anything about The Fall because I'll go on and on and on and on and on about them. Other than that, I'm harmless.

Oh, by the way, Pink Lady are a pop duo from the 1970s. Here's my favourite song of all time: Nagisa No Sindbad (Sindbad's [sic] Beach). It changed my life, lol.
GraemeLovesPinkLady

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby Happosai » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:13 pm

Hey Graeme, nice to see you on here! Seen any good J-films recently?

[Happosai]
Happosai

Postby GraemeLovesPinkLady » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:36 pm

Uh...I have, but, well...I *think* they're good, but whether they are or not is another matter entirely.

I could...mmm, probably will actually, lol...start a movie thread but I want to check on the remit of NanimeW. Is my understanding correct when I say the idea behind the site is to be entirely Japan focused? If so, I'll start a Japanese Movie Thread, and if not, I'll make it an Asian Movie Thread.

In brief: Confessions is pretty good, 13 Assassins rocks bells, Akunin is a bit meh, Outrage hopefully heralds a return to form for Kitano, Mutant Girl Squad is really entertaining and Norwegian Wood impresses and fails in roughly equal measure. The Accidental Kidnapper is probably my favourite from the last twelve months that I've seen.

The best thing I've seen recently is Atami No Sousakan. It's an 8 part TV show directed by the guy who made Adrift In Tokyo. It stars Odagiri Jo and Kuriyama Chiaki, and it's the best thing all involved have done imho. It's kind of like Twin Peaks if it was a. Japanese b. didn't tail off at the end but instead finished brilliantly. I think it is a cult drama in the making. Even I who never watches anything twice that doesn't feature Totoros or Female Convicts called Scorpion would quite happily give Atami No Sousakan a second viewing in its entirety.
GraemeLovesPinkLady

Postby Happosai » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:31 pm

The primary focus of NanimeW is Japanese culture, but feel free to cover films from other Asian countries in your thread, as long as it's predominantly about J-films.

I saw Confessions at the Cornerhouse last month and also thought it was pretty good, although I'd rate it below Memories of Matsuko and Kamikaze Girls (I've yet to see Paco and the Magical Book), purely due to the change of tone from his previous films, which were more to my tastes.

I didn't bother with Norwegian Wood as it didn't appeal from the trailer they showed before the Confessions screening (some people I was out with last Sunday who had also read the book were slagging it off).

I'll have a look into the other films you mention and that Satoshi Miki series sounds like it might be up my street (I must check out Instant Numa, seeing as its available on DVD over here and I enjoyed Adrift in Tokyo and Turtles are Surprisingly Fast Swimmers).

Looking forward to your J-film insights! :)

[Happosai]
Happosai

Postby GraemeLovesPinkLady » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:59 pm

Thanks for the clarification - it was mainly South Korea I was thinking of, as there has been some crossover between the two countries' film industries, and it's led to some cracking films. I'm not sure about whether similar things are afoot in the anime industry, but there's recently been Japanese debuts from some of the more popular SK idol acts, with some success as well, and it would be nice to mention films and music which fall into that niche.

As for insights, I don't know about that lol, and that's also 9 films you've mentioned, but I have seen 8.2 of them, so you know, if you're daft enough to read the posts, I'll quite happily ramble about these movies. Early April is always a busy time of year for me, but maybe I could start a thread this weekend, or you can kick one off and I'll post on it when I get a chance.
GraemeLovesPinkLady

Postby Happosai » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:11 am

Start the thread whenever's convenient for you...it'll take a little while for this forum to establish itself anyway.

[Happosai]
Happosai

Postby GraemeLovesPinkLady » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:26 am

Coolio. No hurry is my kind of pace :)
GraemeLovesPinkLady

Postby Abbo » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:11 pm

Hello, Ian here, but I'm generally known as Abbo by my fiends (and have used the name DJ Standby on odd occasions).

I've been turning up to NanimeW since it began - since before it began in fact, back in the Anime Manchester days, which was basically a few folks from Manchester and two from Liverpool. It all started on uk.media.animation.anime I think!

I also a regular attender of Ayacon, Amecon and Minamicon and usually end up gophering at these cons. I also go to MUJS events. I must admit I haven't been keeping up with the latest anime releases recently, apart from stuff I happen to catch at cons and MUJS!

I don't love Pink Lady, but they're OK, and Graeme's a great guy to chat to!
"The third part of your brain... do you know where it is?"
Abbo

Postby Happosai » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:42 pm

Abbo wrote:I've been turning up to NanimeW since it began - since before it began in fact, back in the Anime Manchester days, which was basically a few folks from Manchester and two from Liverpool. It all started on uk.media.animation.anime I think!

Aye, that's how it all started, way back in late 1999...!

[Happosai]
Happosai

Return to Introductions