Japanese Movie Thread

Talk about anime, manga, video games and other Japanese cultural things.

Japanese Movie Thread

Postby GraemeLovesPinkLady » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:06 pm

Thought we best get a film thread started as soon as possible.

It seems to be a good time for Japanese cinema in the north west - both Confessions and Norwegian Wood have had fairly wide cinematic release recently, and I've heard 13 Assassins has had a special cut prepared for an international audience, so that must be on its way quite soon as well. Forty minute sword battles on the big screen sounds like a winner to me.
GraemeLovesPinkLady

Re: Japanese Movie Thread

Postby Happosai » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:42 pm

I've just read a short interview with Takashi Miike about 13 Assassins and some of his other recent work.

[Happosai]
Happosai

Re: Japanese Movie Thread

Postby GraemeLovesPinkLady » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:21 pm

Interesting to read that Miike wanted to work with Yakusho Koji. Somewhere on the Film Thread on MUJS there's "The Rules Of Japanese Cinema" and rule #1 is "If Yakusho Koji is in it, watch it!"

Didn't know that Miike was remaking Seppuku. It *has* to be a thankless task. How can you improve on an original like that? The kind of skills necessary for the actors to play these roles aren't so common anymore. On the other hand, Miike "does samurai again"...I'd rather that then Zebraman or Yatterman.

Saw Solanain and Gravity's Clowns at the weekend. Solanin is kind of a coming of age drama, revolving around the final days of university and their early days in work for these students who are into rock who are having a rude awakening at the way the world is. It veers into sentimentality at points, but overall, it's surprisingly affecting; I'd recommend it to final year students and recent graduates in particular, but I think anybody can get something out of it who is attuned to the slower character based strand of Japanese cinema.

Also Miyazaki Aoi with a guitar round her neck = win

Gravity's Clowns is less good. It's one of these suspense thrillers which veers more and more into melodrama as it goes on, to the point where you think this is just daft...but the acting is so good, it wins you over, and you see it through. It's a bit like Confessions in that way, though not in the same ballpark when it comes to quality. If you're a Kase Ryo fan, I think you'd get more out of it than most, as he is terrific as always. Kohinata Fumiyo is in it as well. Maybe the first rule of Japanese cinema should be "if Kohinata Fumiyo is in it, watch it!" Google his credits, the guy's been everywhere.

I'm such a non star even fansubbers spell my name wrong

There's a phalanx of character actors who spend their whole lives making the lead look good, especially if the leads are idols which is so often the case, and Kohinata is the the king of this essential subset of the acting profession over there.

Also watching Flowers. I'm having a break, but I'm enjoying it so far. I'm sure it's made with a female audience in mind, but it's engaging enough for someone like me to get swept up in it.
GraemeLovesPinkLady

Return to General chat